Monday, July 25, 2011

IMATS Vancouver 2011

Saturday was the International Makeup Artists Trade Show, held right here in the beautiful city of Vancouver, B.C.   This is the second time IMATS has been in Vancouver, and the second time I've gone. I went alone last year, it just happened to be the same weekend I was out here training for work (how convenient), this year I went with my friend Patti. She's so fun to hang out with, and she'd never been downtown!?

It was held at Canada Place and the venue was sooooooo much better than last year. It was at the Hyatt I think, last year and it was way too small. You couldn't move and they had the stage in the hotel across the street. This year everything was together and I really enjoyed it.

I got up bright and early on a Saturday and put my face on. I like to pump it up a little for events, so I rocked my favorite bright pink lip, OCC Anime Lip Tar, and a strong neutral eye.

Click below for more, and so so so many pictures...




There were so many great booths this year, I got a chance to look at Hakuhodo brushes. They are seriously the softest brushes EVAR! I didn't buy any. They are very expensive and my brother is coming this week so I need to save some money for that. Maybe next year. ;)

They had some great guest speakers. I watched Eve Pearl's demo. She's amazing, and hilarious. I learned so much from her last year and even more this year. My kit is made up of her products. I love them, and highly recommend them.



Eve Pearl was going over the foundations in her set, and went to tell everyone that "no one's truly 'fair'", and I have her the "srsly?" eyebrow, and she called me out on that. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Watching a demo on "women of colour" and here I am, transparent. Oh, I mean "fair". 

The famous xSparkage from YouTube was there. She had the stage Sunday, so I missed that. But I got to snag a photo. I'm super awkward in person, but she's so sweet, and beautiful.



There was excellent stage and special effects make up. Which I LOVE! I got into make up in the theatre and want to get back so bad.


I hate how my flash picks up the difference between the prosthetics and the real deal. 



There were a few people with the day of the dead sugar skull type makeup, so I'm wondering if that was the theme of another stage show I missed. It was amazing though.



Then there was also the student competition. Vancouver has some amazing art schools, John Casablanca, Blanche MacDonald, and so many others. They really had a great show! I snapped just a few pix.





close up

This model had the most expression in the stage competition part, and those nails were crazy!



close up

This one won first place. Way to go!

It was so much fun, but exhausting! I was so pooped by the time I got home. So many people!! I saw a girl who was friends with my cousin, how random. I picked up some stuff too, but I'll save that for another post.

All photos are taken by me, with permission. All work should be credited to the respectful artist, even though I don't know their names.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for imats! Now I can't say I haven't been downtown! :)

    ReplyDelete