Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Liquid Eyeliner Review/Comparison

I've been using the same liquid eyeliner for years, Almay Liquid Liner, and I decided it's time for a change! So I picked up two new liquid liners, in two different, yet similar, forms. Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen and Maybelline New York Line Stiletto.

I've always been a fan of the look of liquid eyeliner, and often grab my MAC Fluidline Gel eyeliner, but sometimes I don't feel like using a brush, or all my liner brushes are dirty, and I want something to give me a quick and easy cat eye/winged eyeliner.

I picked up the Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen because it reminded me of the new MAC Penultimate Eye Liner that is all the rage right now. I don't live as close to a MAC store as I do to a London Drugs, so I grabbed this little gem in 01 blackest black.

The package states: "Our unique flow-through, felt-tip pen provides controlled application to create a precise line, from soft to dramatic.  Easier to apply than traditional liquid liners - no mess. Rich, bold color glides on smoothly and wears for up to 16 hours. Won't smudge or smear all day." It also states it's safe for contact lens wearers (which I am).

That's a lot of promises for one little drugstore pen (a pricey one at that, $10.99 CAD at London Drugs).  Yes, it's an easy controlled application, yes I can do a precise line. No mess, true.  Rich bold color? Not quite. (side note, on Canadian packaging where the info is in English and French please spell colour properly, thanks). Won't smudge or smear? True, but it will just rub off with the slightest bit of water.

I also saw the Maybelline New York Lash Stiletto Eye Liner. I have used the Lash Stiletto Mascara and really like it! So why not, it looks like a pen type liner too, right?

It's not a pen, it's kind of like the Almay traditional liner.

The package states: " Flexible tip glides on smoothly for the most precise control. All-day wear up to 8 hours. Safe for sensitive eyes.Contact lens safe."

OK so not 16 hours like the Revlon on right? Not true. They should really emphasize the last-ablity (is that a word?!) of this product! It lasts all day, as long as I don't touch it, or have watery eyes. Just like the Revlon one. Neither of these are water proof. You really have to let this one set tho, so keep your eyes closed for a few seconds after you put it on, especially if you have deep set eyes like me, or you'll get the awesome crease liner. Another pricey one at $9.99 at London Drugs.  Now I'm not sure if it's just me, or are drugstore products getting more and more expensive?

Here's a side by side comparison. I'm wearing Two Faced Shadow Insurance and MAC Vanilla Eyeshadow as a base for the liners. I often wear this eyeshadow when doing a winged eyeliner.  No Mascara, it prevents seeing the liner.
Maybelline New York Line Stiletto

Revlon ColourStay Liquid Eye Pen

Keep in mind that my 10 mega pixel camera shows all my bumps and mistakes that I don't see when I'm wearing it. ;)

I've had both of these for about a month and I find myself reaching for the Maybelline one more often, mostly because it's much blacker and runnier than the Revlon one. I like the shine I get from the Maybelline one, I like that it goes onto my lashes easier.  Since I have blonde hair naturally, my eyelashes are also blonde. If I miss that tiny spot between my liner and my mascara it looks little freaky-deaky! So I like to just coat the top of my lashes with a bit of liquid liner to make everything really dark, especially if I do a smokey eye!

I'm not sure if I'll purchase either of these items again. I may go for the MAC Penultimate next. It's a little more expensive, but a professional product usually is.

Remember! Don't share eye makeup that can can't be properly cleaned.
Once the tip of the liner has been used your eye cooties will live on the pen. Get rid of the product if it changes consistency, or smell.
Revlon has given their liner a life of 6 months. That's what that little jar symbol means.


All products were purchased by me. All opinions are mine, and mine alone, with no outside influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment