Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Red Lips

I've recently changed jobs with my move, and in my new roll I've taken on more of a corporate feel. So I've abandoned (mostly) the bright green eyeshadow, and started rocking the classic red lip. I've gotten many questions about which shade I use, how do I get it to stay on all day, ect. So I'll share that with you now.

Starting off, I always apply a lip conditioner when I start my makeup. So the pattern tends to be, moisturizer, eye cream, lip conditioner, foundation primer...


My favorite right now is C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve


Then I line. Liner is very important, it lasts way longer than lipstick or lipgloss and gives whatever you put on top extra life. It prevents anything from bleeding into those fine lines around the lips (they get worse as you age :( ).
I choose Redd lip liner by MAC. It has a slight orange base, which compliments any blue based reds I use to sort of neutralize them.



My all time favorite red lipstick MAC doesn't make anymore, unfortunately. It also happens to be Christina Aguileras favorite. That would be MAC Powerhouse. It's an amplified finish, so it's super creamy and shiny. I hope MAC brings it back one day.



My second pick is a recent addition to my collection. That would be MAC Lady Danger. It's a matte finish, and has an orange base. It's not for the shy! I bought this off the MAC website, and I'll be honest, I was disappointed when I first tried it. But it's really grown on me.



My last red lipstick is a MAC classic. That's Viva Glam 1. It's a deep blue based red and supports the Viva Glam project. It's also a matte finish.


(this was my last lip swatch. it's a little crooked. my lips were mad at me at this point.)

Then to top things off, or when I'm feeling lazy I rock Russian Red Lipglass by MAC. It's a super opaque gloss that really holds its own.



Finally a swatch of all to compare.
L-R
Redd lip pencil, Powerhouse lipstick, Lady Danger lipstick, Viva Glam 1 lipstick, & Russian Red lipglass (also swiped over all 3 lipsticks).


The only major tips I can suggest for a red lip, is don't be afraid! It's classic beauty at it's best, and try to avoid this...


No matter how much time, effort and money you put into your makeup, lipstick on the teeth is all anyone is going to notice!


This post contains views and opinions that are simply that, my opinions. This post contains outside links for your convenience.  All items were purchased with my own money or gained through the MAC recycling program (B2M), I have no affiliation with MAC Cosmetics, I just happen to be a fan of B2M and their lipsticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment