Monday, September 26, 2011

Foundation Brushes

Ever get frustrated because your new expensive foundation is streaky, flaky or overall a let down? I know I have. But it might not be the foundation, it might be the way you're applying it. I'm going to show you a few of my favorite foundation application devices (oooh fancy) and share what I think is the best tool for the job.

First the "Foundation Brush", go into any beauty store and ask for a foundation brush and they'll bring you this:




This is the MAC 190 brush. It was my first foundation brush, actually one of the first make up brushes I ever owned.  Brushes like this are often dense, synthetic, and pretty soft. They're great for liquid foundations with a sheer to medium coverage. I find a heavy coverage foundation is more likely to streak with this brush.
The synthetic bristles are great, since a natural hair brush will absorb too much product and you're wasting foundation. I'm more likely to use this for primer or a colour corrector, since I have a pretty heavy hand and it causes the most streaks for me.

Next would be the flat top foundation brush:



This is my go-to brush right now. Great for a medium coverage liquid foundation (which is what I go for most of the time). I start by placing a pump or drop or whatever of foundation on the back of my hand and stippling the brush in it lightly, then stippling in the places that need the most coverage (my rosy cheeks), and the centre of the face. You always want to start in the centre of the face and work your way outwards. Then buff everything together in circular motions. This gives a nice fuller coverage air brushed look.

My next favorite would be the duo fibre brush:



Great for powder, liquid or even a light cream foundation. Same ideas as the flat top brush. This brush isn't as dense though, and can give a softer finish. There's a lot of different sizes, I have a big face so I like the larger one, but if you're trying to get into the smaller areas, like around the nose or under the eyes, the smaller version is nicer.

Then there's the traditional and un-traditional sponges:

Traditional:


un-traditional:


Traditional triangle sponges are SINGLE USE!! They get all gummed up with foundation and need to be tossed so bacteria doesn't get all up in that. I know I was really bad for using the same sponge for days when I was younger. That's a big reason I had acne. The warm dark damp centre of that sponge is like sea side Malibu property for bacteria.
un-traditional sponges, such as the beauty blender, are made of a stronger material and can be washed after every use.
Both of these sponges are great when used wet. Run it under the tap for a min, and squeeze out as much moisture as you can, leaving the sponge damp. This helps prevent extra foundation from getting in there, and gives a softer look to finished product. These are great for cream foundations, pan foundations or even a liquid foundation. Apply the foundation at first however you like, then go over it all in a stippling motion to get rid of any streaks left behind.

Invest in a good brush, you won't regret it. Make sure you take care of your brushes and wash them properly, I have a post on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment